As a network engineer, you have more educational tools at your fingertips than you think. This became evident to us recently as the editorial team at RSS feed reader site Feedspot published a list of the top 100 networking blogs and websites for network engineers. They based their selections on criteria such as quality and consistency of posts, Google search ranking, and influence/popularity on social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
The list is a mix of media and vendor sites (including some YouTube channels) as well as the personal blogs of network engineers. The Packet Design blog is #54 on the list! As many of you know, we publish about once a week on everything from networking case studies to technical tutorials to SDN use cases. You can subscribe to our blog feed from here.
Blogs and Websites for Network Engineers
Here’s a quick look at the top 10 blogs according to Feedspot (all descriptions written by Feedspot editors):
- Reddit – Networking: A subreddit about networking, routers, switches, firewalls and other Data Networking infrastructure discussions.
- Network World: Network news, trend analysis, product testing and the industry’s most important blogs, all collected at the most popular network watering hole on the Internet by Network World.
- Cisco Blog – Enterprise Networks: The official blog of Cisco Network Enterprise. This blog is intended to provide information about Cisco’s Borderless Networks initiative as well as to engage the public in a dialogue on this topic.
- NetworkLessons.com: NetworkLessons.com teaches you everything about Cisco R&S, Security, Wireless and Linux. Great courses, lessons and learning Material.
- Network Computing – Networking: Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, applications, and network. The worlds of data, networking and storage are colliding and it’s no surprise that the things IT needs to know are changing.
- SmallNetBuilder: SmallNetBuilder provides networking and IT news, reviews, help and information for professional and prosumer home, SOHO and small business users.
- Stack Exchange – Network Engineering: Network Engineering Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for network engineers.
- Enterprise Networking Planet: Follow this blog for Practical advice, news, trends, advice, reviews and tools for building and managing an enterprise network.
- Firewall.cx Blog: The world’s first Free Cisco Lab at Firewall.cx, covering articles on Cisco networking, VPN security, Windows Server, protocol analysis, Cisco routers, routing, switching, VoIP – Unified Communication Manager Express (CallManager) UC500, UC540 and UC560, Linux and Microsoft technologies.
- ipSpace.net Blog: ipSpace.net is a vendor-independent blog and web site focusing on scalable physical or virtual architectures, emerging internetworking technologies, and stable real-life solutions.